Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What do you know?

I was reading "O" magazine during my last doctor's appointment and was intrigued by an article. Oprah had been asked in an interview to say what she knows for sure and couldn't think of anything. So, she compiled other people's answers to the same question. It was really interesting to read what people believe to be for sure. I also enjoyed seeing how people's life experiences influenced their responses. One man talked about what he knows about women, and I'm sure it was true about the women in his life, but I found myself thinking that he sure hadn't met me. Most of the people did not make such general statements. I really enjoyed thinking about what they had to say and wish I could remember better (darn pregnant brain).

It really got me thinking about the things I know for sure and made me wonder what you know for sure. Here's a few of my thoughts:

1. We have all existed for ions. We come to earth with personalities and predispositions. However, we make choices and we decide if those things will help or harm our progression. Nature vs. nurture is a silly argument because no one is complete without both.

2. People always respond better to praise than criticism.

3. Things always work out for the best; they just don't always go according to our plans.

4. Having a positive attitude can change any situation.

5. Heavenly Father loves you. He always has and He always will. It's your job to love yourself and to spread His love to others.

I would love to hear your thoughts, whether on the things I think I know for sure or on the things you know.

5 comments:

jb said...

I know I can learn something from everyone. I know, even if I lose all my teeth, I will still be able to eat ice cream.

Liz Wilcken said...

I once read a quote by someone I can't remember that said, "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans for the day." I was reminded of it by your #3. Thanks for letting us use your house last night!

Unknown said...

That we are all capable of amazing things, because we are children of God. I know that we should never hold ourselves back, but let our light shine! How's that Phead ;)

Anonymous said...

What beautiful thoughts, Paige. So touching they made me cry. Thank you for your stalwart strength.

Liz Wilcken said...

Did you know Jenn Wilkes has a blog! Just found out tonight during enrichment. It's the stories of her cute 1st graders. You can see the link on my blog :)